Monday, November 21, 2011

2011 November Sweeps


Well, the ARRL November Sweeps (SSB) are officially over and I, for one, had a fun time - even though I was only able to operate for 10 hours.


So, how did I fair? Lets compare my first year (2010) and this year.


Last year, I was still learning the radio and antenna as I had only had it for about a week. I was still learning what a log was and there was a vehicle breakdown. This year a lot of things actually went better. I still had to work on Saturday and I still had husbandly duties to attend to. Other than that I made almost 100 more contacts this year than last (2010=19 Q's and 2011=116 Q's) This year, the learning curve was with the logging software that I was using for the first time.


I really like using the software to log. Last year, I did paper log and it took me a little bit to get the logs filled out, entered into the computer and then submitted. With the computer logging program, I don't get the writers' cramps and I have also submitted my log already - take that pudgy fingers! Additionally, the computer logging allows me to throw together a spreadsheet to share, as in this: 


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajvnl1xNxjPVdFVQMm9tc2VhV3dhcWRXSkZDbHYwT0E


Yes, there it is - the extract from my Cabrillo file. If you find yourself in there, a heartfelt thanks for the Q.


Next year, my goals are as follows:
1.) Operate from the warmth and comfort of a truly fixed shack - mobile shack means getting the same exact spot if I was to leave, facilities at a distance and the (brrrrrr) elements.
2.) Computer logging is a must - no way I will return to paper logs for a contest. One entry point and instantaneous determination of whether a station is unique or a dupe.
3.) Request time off for contest - this is absolutely necessary and means more hours to operate
4.) Make 200+ Q's.


So, again, thanks to all those that I had QSO's with and I hope to see you all next year.


73 de KDØMCV

No comments: